How to clean the refrigerator: tips and much more
The refrigerator is one of the most important appliances in the house, it is used to cool, freeze and preserve any type of food. Being a place where we store food, it is prone to the appearance of bacteria or germs if the necessary care is not taken. One of the best ways to prevent the appearance of any germs is to periodically clean the refrigerator, so that your food stays clean. For this reason, today we want to tell you how to clean the refrigerator, all the tips and what you need to know to make it impeccable.
What should you do before cleaning the refrigerator?
Attention! It is not only about cleaning for cleaning’s sake, before starting to use the products to clean the refrigerator you will have to follow the following steps:
– Disconnect the refrigerator: It may sound very obvious, but to avoid any type of accident or problem, it is best to disconnect the refrigerator directly.
– Take out all the food: In order to reach all corners and easily clean the refrigerator, it is best to remove all food. Don’t worry, cleaning won’t take more than half an hour, so your food won’t spoil. What we do recommend is that you put all your food in a place where the sun does not hit it, that is, a cool and shady place.
– Remove the accessories, grids or glass shelves: At this point you have to be very careful not to cause any accident. Little by little you should remove all the accessories that are removable from the refrigerator, such as grilles, egg cups, glass shelves, drawers, etc. You can wash these accessories separately, so that everything is easier and more effective.
What products are needed to clean the refrigerator?
There is no perfect formula, that is, there are no products that work perfectly in all situations, what is certain is that Before unplugging your refrigerator, you should make sure you have everything you need to clean it. Below we suggest some of the best products to clean the refrigerator, take note and put them on your shopping list.
These microfiber cloths have become one of Amazon’s best-selling refrigerator cleaning products. They are extremely soft, do not scratch surfaces, do not leave dust or lint. One of its advantages is that they are highly absorbent and you can use them with or without water, not only for the refrigerator, but also to clean any kitchen utensil or delicate surface. With these microfiber cloths to clean the refrigerator, you will be able to remove stains, traces of grease, dust and any type of dirt, without making a major effort. They come in different colors, this is useful when you want to assign a cloth to each part of the kitchen, or to clean different utensils or appliances.
The main objective of cleaning the refrigerator is the prevent the appearance of any type of germs, then using a disinfectant cleaner is essential. On this occasion we recommend a multipurpose liquid cleaner, which promises to eliminate up to 99% of viruses and bacteria. With this cleaner you can remove grease, disinfect, remove tartar, polish and repel any type of insect, it is one of the best products to clean the inside of the refrigerator. The most important thing is that you will have to use a very small amount of the liquid to cover the entire refrigerator, so you will save money in a smart way. If you have disinfecting wipes on hand, they can also be a great option for cleaning the internal surfaces of the refrigerator.
Small refrigerator cleaning brush
The microfiber cloths that we recommend above are an excellent product for cleaning the refrigerator, but there are corners and places that are difficult to access. For these places where it is more difficult to clean with a cloth, we recommend this small cleaning brush. It’s a ideal brush to remove dust and dirt in the smallest corners or where it is not possible to clean with rags, towels or other larger brushes. You will be able to clean the refrigerator drain tube more easily, so that it works correctly for much longer.
stainless steel cleaner
It is not only the interior of the refrigerator that should be cleaned, it is also important to clean the exterior surfaces, especially handles, which is one of the places where more bacteria can accumulate. If your refrigerator is made of stainless steel, we recommend this product, which is of very good quality, you can use it for any type of surface, it leaves a fresh and pleasant aroma. It is one of the best products to clean the refrigerator from the outside, it effectively destroys grease, but the best thing is that it does not cause any type of damage to the surfaces. In the market they also sell special wipes for cleaning stainless steel, these are very practical and can get you out of trouble if you need it.
Products to remove odors from the refrigerator
One of the most common problems is that on many occasions, despite the fact that you have already cleaned the refrigerator thoroughly, it continues to be impregnated with a strong odor. Below we will present two products to eliminate and prevent bad odors in the refrigerator.
One of the most effective natural remedies to eliminate bad smells in the refrigerator is to use baking soda. We recommend you this deodorant that contains baking soda, and that will be in charge of effectively absorbing any unpleasant odor from your refrigerator. All you have to do is open the product in the recommended way, and put it in your refrigerator in an upright position, thanks to its technology, it will take care of eliminating bad odors. On the other hand, this deodorant will help prevent your food from being impregnated with any type of unpleasant odor.
air purifier for refrigerator
With this ozone generator, the food in your refrigerator will always stay fresh, you will not have to go shopping every day, since this product extends the life of your food in the refrigerator. On the other hand, this refrigerator air purifier produces ozone by electrolyzing oxygen, helping to effectively reduce the mixing and mixing of odors and thus also prolonging the shelf life of food.
How to clean the refrigerator quickly?
The first thing you should do is have all the products to clean the refrigerator on hand, remember that before you must have disconnected the appliance and you will have to have removed all the food. Next we will tell you briefly how to clean the refrigerator without taking up a lot of time.
– To begin with, you can use microfiber cloths to sweep all surface dirt, pieces of food, etc. You have to quickly go over all the surfaces, it’s just a step to avoid complications later.
– Now you must apply the cleaning product, you can apply it directly with one of the cleaning cloths. We recommend that you go over all the surfaces with plenty of disinfectant cleaner for refrigerators, and that you let it act for at least 15 minutes.
– Now it’s time to use a little force, submerge the cloth again with a little mixture of water and cleaning soap or the cleaning product you have on hand. You have to rub harder for all parts of the refrigerator, you will have to emphasize those areas where there are stains, accumulated fat or any other type of dirt that does not come off easily.
– Do not forget the refrigerator frames, you have to clean them very carefully, here you can help yourself with a small brush, or do it with the microfiber cloth but with soft movements.
– We are almost done, for the interior part you can submerge the microfiber cloth in water, and go over all the areas of the refrigerator again. You will have to make sure that all the dirt has stayed on the cloth and that your refrigerator is completely clean.
– Besides, with a soapy product and water you can wash the drawers, shelves, and racks, you can use a special product for grease if there are stains that are difficult to remove.
– Finally, don’t forget to clean the exterior surfaces of the refrigeratorFor this, we do recommend that you use the stainless steel cleaning product that we talked about above. The ideal would be to use a different microfiber cloth, so you make sure you do not do any type of transfer of dust or dirt from one place to another. Remember to rub hard, especially in places where more bacteria can accumulate, such as refrigerator handles.
*All purchase prices included in this article are current as of September 19, 2022.
*If you are a user of Amazon Primeall purchases have free shipping costs.
*Our journalists rigorously and independently recommend products and services that you can purchase on the Internet. Every time you buy through some links added to the text, EL PAÍS receives a commission. read here our commercial policy