We know that when it comes to making dinner during these summer weeks there are some barriers that make it a bit difficult. Immediately it’s half past ten at night and between cane and cane, pool and walk when the sun goes down, back home there is no dinner, no ideas to make it. The heat doesn’t help either: it doesn’t motivate much to light the fire and it also takes away your hunger. It seems that everything goes against the task of making dinner, but we bring you a breath of hope: three simple, fresh ideas with few ingredients to prepare one of these summer nights.
Taking advantage of some free moment of the day to make a recipe that you can eat during the week is always a wise move (can there be anything better than opening the fridge and finding a very cold gazpacho or a ready-made potato salad?). I am also a defender of having a good selection of laterío: mussels in tomato sauce over some boiled potatoes and roasted peppers, or pickled quail with garden lettuce, which are dinners for 10 and are made in three minutes.
Today’s menu is prepared in no time at all in exchange for cooking some preparations in advance, all very easy and that last three or four days in the fridge without a problem. A cold corn cream, a potato and mussel salad that doesn’t even need dressing -the marinade itself serves to give flavor and acidity- and some banana and mango pseudo custard that are also valid for breakfast the next day: if you have a microwave, You won’t even need to light the fire (and all for four people).
- 2 cans of cooked corn
- 1 kg of tomato (we use the yellow one to maintain the color)
- ½ bell pepper (yellow, if possible)
- ½ spring onion
- ½ cucumber and a few more slices to decorate
- ½ clove of garlic
- 30ml apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 ml of water and a little more to adjust the texture
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Blend for five minutes and add the oil little by little in the form of a thread so that it emulsifies.
- Taste and correct for salt and vinegar. If you want a more liquid cream, add a little more water. Pass through a Chinese strainer and store in the fridge.
- Serve cold with a few slices of cucumber and a drizzle of oil.
POTATO SALAD, PICKLED MUSSELS AND CHERRY TOMATOES
- 600 g of new potato
- 2 cans of good pickled mussels
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1/4 red onion
- A handful of pickles (or to taste)
- Cut the potatoes into irregular pieces and place in a large bowl. Add a tablespoon of water and cover with kitchen film. Microwave on full power for eight minutes. If you don’t have a microwave, chop and boil the potatoes for 12 to 16 minutes. Let them cool in the fridge until you are ready to prepare the salad.
- Chop the parsley, the red onion into very small cubes and the gherkins into pieces. Mix the potato with the mussels and the marinade liquid in a bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes cut in half, the onion, the parsley and the gherkins. Finish with a little salt and serve very cold.
BANANA, MANGO AND CHOCOLATE CREAM
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 mangoes
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- 60g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or olive oil, failing that)
- 30g almonds
- Chop the almonds into small pieces.
- Blend the bananas, mango, yogurt, a few drops of vanilla essence and a pinch of salt. Place in containers and store in the fridge.
- Melt the dark chocolate with the oil. When it is liquid add the chopped almonds. pour over the containers forming a thin layer. Store in the fridge and serve cold.